Opportunity now closed! Thanks for your interest.
The Zoonotic and Emerging Diseases Group works closely with the International Livestock Research Institute, specifically in the Agriculture for Nutrition and Health programme. As part of this collaboration, the group is recruiting, through ILRI, a research technician post to participate in diagnostic activities for a range of zoonotic diseases, as part of the People, Animals and their Zoonoses project. This post is to be based at the ILRI campus in Nairobi. This is a "nationally recruited staff" position and is therefore open only to Kenyan nationals.
The details are below; the original job posting is available on the ILRI recruitment site.
CGIAR is a global agricultural research partnership for a food-secure future. Its science is carried out by 15 research centres that are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. www.cgiar.org.
ILRI seeks to recruit a Laboratory Technician into the Biotechnology theme to provide support to ILRI research projects.
- Receive samples from the field via shipment and properly store these.
- Maintain a database of samples received, processed, stored and shipped, according to project protocols.
- Process samples for various laboratory analyses, according to project protocols.
- Undertake ELISA and PCR diagnostics for several zoonotic diseases according to project protocols.
- Optimise laboratory protocols for routine use.
- Undertake diagnosis using rapid penside tests.
- Maintain a database of results of all analyses.
- Take care of the project resources.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the senior project staff.
- BSc. Degree in Biomedical Science and Technology
- Previous experience on similar projects ideally on the job training with other projects in the animal and human health sphere.
- Experience with ELISA protocols for diagnosis of zoonotic infections
- Teamwork, general good personality, ability to question established protocols in a constructive fashion.
Terms of Appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 2-year contract renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Job level and salary: This position is job level 2A level 2 with a starting gross salary of KES 64,833 per month. The benefits package includes pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
Location: The position will be based at the ILRI campus Nairobi, Kenya.
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV combined as one document addressed the Human Resources Director, explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience by 12 December 2012. Log on to: http://www.myjobsinkenya.com/ilri_jobs. The position title and reference number REF: LT/BIOTECH/12/12 should be clearly marked on the subject line. Only online applications will be considered, and only short listed candidates will be contacted.
To find more about ILRI, visit our Website at www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
The Zoonotic and Emerging Disease group studies a range of epidemiological issues revolving around the domestic livestock, wildlife and human interface
You must be logged in to post a comment.